Sunday, January 6, 2008

My New Laptop

So, I got a brand-new Dell XPS M1530 laptop for christmas. Its speced out for gaming and software development. It wouldve costed like $300 extra to get Windows XP installed on it, so my parents just stuck with slapping Vista on it. Now, this is the first time Ive actually gotten to use Vista, but just like everyone else, I heard it sucked. And, for the most part, I was right. Vista is basically XP with better graphics and less software compatibility. Good job, Microsoft. Youve made another thing that sucks. But, meh, it grows on you. Vista DOES have some pretty cool advantages. But, thats beside the point.

I decided one day that I wanted to type up a document. So, I clicked the Start button, hovered over the ole All Programs link, and began the hunt for Microsoft Word. And, wouldnt you know it? Microsoft Word wasnt on the laptop. In fact, there werent any word processors installed on the machine. Are you kidding me? So, Im forced to type up a document in, what, Notepad or Wordpad? What is that crap about? Just because Microsoft is too cheap to package some type of GOOD word processor with its operating system, Im reduced to using some half-assed text editing program. Microsft Word isnt even that good! What does Microsoft Word have that other word processors dont have? That annoying little paperclip office assistant guy? Yea, Id really be getting my moneys worth if I bought Microsoft Office separately. Thanks, Microsoft, you really suck. Why dont I just stick with Linux, where everything is free and doesnt crash every two seconds? Every day, I find it harder to tell people I like Windows more than the soleless Macs. If I wasnt so lazy, Id probably convert all my computers to Ubuntu Linux. And while Im at it, Id get a pocket protector and work for Geek Squad at Best Buy. The saddest part of that is Im actually considering working for Geek Squad. I suppose geeks are the new jocks.

1 comment:

Meredith said...

But Vista is prettyyy!!! That's all that matters =P

Rant some more =)