Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Nintendo Killed The Wii

The newest thing to be added to Nintendos already awesome arsenal is the downloadable content called WiiWare. These are games that you can buy from the Shop Channel, much like Virtual Console games. In fact, they are exactly like them in every way, except that they are often created by third-party programmers and the reason for this rant; THEY ARE HUGE! Seriously, the size of some of these games is astonishing. Now, if youre like me, you think "Oh! Size on a game cosole is no problem!" Yea...What you forget is that we are talking about the Wii here! Nintendo, in their infinite knowledge, thought it would be a good idea to limit the internal memory to somewhere in the neighborhood of 500 megs.

First off, are you kidding me? 500 megs is really all you can spare us, Nintendo? Ive got a $15 flash drive that can hold 2 gigs! Its surely not much bigger than your measely 500-meg hardware, and Id be happy to add $15 to my purchase to get those 2 gigs.

Second, the reason Im complaining about this small size. While Nintendo so graciously granted us the ability to plug in Gamecube memory cards and SD cards to store more data, the Wii cant run games from them! So, if youve got more than 500 megs worth of WiiWare and VC games, you are forced to juggle them between the built-in memory and external methods. This is unacceptable. If I want to play Star Fox one second, then play Zelda another, then switch over to My Life As A King, the only thing I should have to do is click the game from the Wii menu. None of this wrangling-with-memory-usage crap! If I wanted to play that game, Id go back to my Gamecube and see how many save files I could cram on a memory card before having to use another one.

Nintendo, I can safely speak for all of us when I say you completely fouled up the gaming experience. You alone killed the otherwise awesome love machine we affectionately refer to as the Wii. Until you offer an update that allows the Wii to run games from SD cards, or a service to upgrade the on-board memory, I will be upset with you and your awesome games that I cannot download and play because Im too lazy to swap around a million files. Really, come on. What were you thinking? You have failed.

No comments: